Saturday, January 4, 2014

Catching up....

Remember that one time I hadn't posted since July...of 2012.  Yeah.  I think it's time to start posting again :D

Well!  In July of 2012 I was happily working at Deseret Book, just 4 months separated from my mission, and considering one of two options--teaching English in China or going back to school for my MBA. I had applications in at the Jordan and Canyons school districts, but hadn't heard back from anyone.  I was actually quite pleased!  I didn't want to teach and I was happy that I could say that I'd applied, but--ah shucks--no one had called for an interview.

Around that time, I was sitting in Sunday School when I had the thought, "I would accept a teaching job if I was offered one."  This was NOT a thought I wanted to have, so I knew it was Heavenly Father.  Right after that, I had the thought, "You will have a teaching job in the fall."  I wrote these thoughts down because I knew it was inspiration from Heavenly Father.

That week, Karen Thompson came by my house.  She was a leader when I was in the YW program and was also a principal I had worked under when doing a long-term sub.  I wasn't there, but she told my mom that if I wanted a teaching job, she would certainly pass on a recommendation.  Perfect timing.

So I started being more aggressive in my hunt for a job!  I looked on teachers-teachers and applied like crazy.  In the Jordan District, however, year-round schools abound.  That means that school starts in July for 3 of the 4 tracks.  Even those that weren't year-round would be starting the next month.  I realized most were already staffed.  As I applied for jobs, I got quite a few responses informing me that they'd already filled the position.  Despite that, I knew I would have a teaching job in the fall.

After work on Aug 10, I got a call from Herriman Elementary (where I didn't even recall applying) asking me to set up an interview the following Tuesday.  I was still at work, so I went to talk to my manager about leaving early that day.  I also mentioned that if I got the job, I'd have to start pretty soon.

I went in for the interview on Aug 14.  I met with the principal and one of the sixth grade teachers.  I had always wanted to teach the younger grades, but took what I could get.  They called me the next day to hire me and inform me I needed to be at the school the day after.  So I started on Thursday and the kids started that next Monday.  Talk about a whirlwind!


Almost immediately, I was so grateful for Heavenly Father's hand in procuring me this position.  Sixth grade is exactly where I need to be.  I loved those kids SO much.  I'm now in my second year of teaching and love these kids SO much, too!  I absolutely love being a teacher and am so grateful that Heavenly Father helped me to see that and that I was in tune enough to listen.




No comments: